Spring is one of our family’s most favorite times of the year. We love seeing all of the new growth peeking through the crisp cool of winter. We love seeing the birds returning from their extended stay down South. We love the longer days and fresh smell of new growth that only the spring rains can bring. For our family spring is a newness that we look forward to each and every year.
That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.
Deuteronomy 11:14 KJV
We believe there is something that is renewed in our family every spring as we head out together and do some fun activities together. Enjoying God’s creation with one another is something that undeniably strengthens our family’s bond. Today we are going to share with you 7 family activities your family can enjoy together this spring that are great for family bonding!
7 Fun Family Activities for Spring
- Head to a state or national park. We have so much fun exploring all of the different state and national parks where we live. There is no shortage of fun as we explore all of the beautiful things that God’s creation has to offer. The spring brings out so much new life that we advise you to bring your camera so you can capture some of the beauty to keep as memories. You can find your local parks by searching by state here.
- Fishing! Our family loves to fish. We especially enjoy fishing in rivers. Even if you don’t have your own fishing gear, you can usually find some to rent for a good price. You may even be able to borrow some poles from a friend or family member to keep the costs low. Either way, fishing is a great time for family conversation and to practice patience together.
- Playing outdoor games. We love to play games outside. From yard darts to tic-tac-toe we always look forward to bringing out our favorite yard games when spring time emerges! You can see a list of our family’s favorite outdoor games here.
- Kite flying. We love heading out on a windy day (or to a windy spot like the beach) and flying kites. No matter how old the gets get they never tire of seeing their kites flying in the sky. And it wouldn’t be a Kercheval family affair if there wasn’t a little fun competition involved. We usually have a “prize” for the person who can keep their kite in the air the longest!
- Go rock hunting. We absolutely love finding rocks and studying to figure out what they are and what they are made of. Some of our favorite spots to go rock hunting are in the forest, in rivers, at the beach, and in the mountains. Our children have rocks from all over the world with a neat story for each of them.
- Planting new things in our garden. We really love to plant new things in our garden each spring. Even if you don’t have space for a garden in the ground, you can always have a small indoor/outdoor container garden. It is always fun planting new things and watching it grow well into the summer.
- Head to a local botanical garden. Our family always enjoys heading to a botanical garden when everything is blooming. We love the colorful sights and pleasant fragrances. We also love seeing butterflies and other insects doing their “jobs” in the gardens.
We encourage you and your family to head out into God’s beautiful creation this spring. We believe that enjoying the newness of life everywhere to be found will strengthen your family both spiritually and physically. If you want even more ideas, check out these 40+ Free & Frugal Family Activities.