Just wanted to drop a note to say thanks. I love you. I’m grateful for you. And just in case I’ve never officially told you these things, here’s what I especially appreciate…
1. You get me. You understand my insecurities. You can relate to my bouts with hormonal instability. You are able to fully grasp my battles with bloating, wrinkles and worrying. You don’t question me when I want to make multiple stops on a road-trip. And I never have to explain to you why I need more shoes.
2. You drag me out of the doldrums. When I get the blahs and don’t really feel like it, especially when I don’t feel like it, you know how to lift me up. You remind me that taking life too seriously is always a bad idea and you prove over and over that laughter (…and chocolate… and wine… and shopping…) but mostly laughter, is truly the best medicine.
3. You allow me to be me. The real me. Even the embarrassing stuff. Even the yucky stuff. Those things that make me feel alone or weird or different. You listen. And you don’t make me feel alone or weird or different. And then, to top it all off, you have the world’s greatest ability not to judge. That’s superhero territory, sister.
4. You turn me back to faith. Those encouraging words you speak. That Bible verse you tuck into a note. The text or email that gently puts me on track, back to Jesus. You know exactly how to put things in perspective and remind me of my blessings. You urge me to trust in God’s Word. You walk me back from cliffs and direct me back to His love.
5. You hold back at just the right time. When my hair is in serious need of a cut and color. When I experiment with the wrong eyebrow pencil. When I look absolutely ridiculous in a shirt from my teenage daughter’s closet. You still tell me I’m cute. You’re amazing. (Worth mentioning, you also know the perfect time to be honest… spinach in my teeth, bathing suit malfunctions, or when I need some serious redirection in my life.)
6. You let me vent. You know that when I’m ticked about something I don’t really mean half the stuff that comes out of my mouth. But you let me say it anyhow. You are a safe place, a vault that holds many of my secrets. You let me spill my heart all over you and you don’t even mind how messy it gets.
7. You forgive me. Because sometimes I mess up. I say something dumb. I do something stupid. But when I say sorry and you say it’s okay, we both mean it. It’s gone forever. You don’t hold it against me or bring it up later. You remind me that no one is perfect and implore me to stop being so hard on myself. Priceless.
So, girlfriend, for the record, thank you. For these seven things, and the million or so other things you do, thank you.