When John swept into my life, I was a teenage mom, and I saw him as a godly man who worked hard and made good choices. I could tell he loved God and cared for people. I looked up to him with respect.
Then came marriage . . .
It wasn’t that I stopped respecting John, but I saw more of his flaws. I also had more expectations. As the years passed, I was quick to point out John’s faults instead of his strengths.
We’ve had tough spots in our marriage. . . and I’ve learned that the harder I work to show my husband respect, the closer we become.
I don’t show my husband respect to manipulate. Instead, I respect my husband because I love him. And I know that the more I care for him in ways he feels respected, the more love is returned.
27 Ways to Show Your Husband Respect
- Ask about his job. Listen to his joys and struggles at work. Thank him for working so hard for your family.
- Invite some of his co-workers over for lunch. Get to know some of the people with whom your husband spends his day.
- Attend company gatherings with him.
- Ask your spouse about his dreams. What would he like to do? Where would he like to travel?
- Offer to run an errand for your husband.
- Send him encouraging texts throughout the day
- Talk positively about him to others.
- Don’t interrupt him.
- Give him time to think. Don’t expect an instant answer.
- Talk over your family schedule with him.
- Work as a team to guide and discipline your kids. Keep a “team front” in front of your kids, and talk to your husband in private if you disagree.
- Pray for him.
- Give him time to wind down after work.
- Understand He approaches God and worships God in different ways than you do.
- Thank him for all the ways he serves God.
- Pray out loud for your husband.
- If you need his help with something, ask him clearly. Don’t beat around the bush, hint, or try to manipulate.
- Ask for ideas for your dinner menu. Make the kind of food he likes.
- When you go to the store, ask him if there is anything that you could pick up for him.
- Praise him for accomplishments.
- Attempt to keep your home in order, for his comfort.
- Dress modestly so you don’t draw the attention of other men.
- Hold his hand in public.
- Snuggle up to him when he’s watching a movie.
- Sit and watch him as he’s working on a project in the garage or shopping cart. Let him know you just enjoy being with him.
- Ask for his advice.
- Join him on an adventure of his choosing!
I’m excited about my marriage. I love what God is doing with us. I love giving my husband the respect he deserves. Every day I pray and ask God to show me more ways to show my husband respect. Maybe by this time next year I’ll have a list of another twenty-seven. I hope so!