I love this time of year. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and after that, Christmas. In my home, nothing says Christmas like a big batch of homemade cookies, warm from the oven.
At My Humble Kitchen, I write about gardening and foods that nourish us from within. So what about cookies?
In my family, we eat a bit of everything. Food is not our God, but a blessing from Him. So in moderation, we enjoy sweet treats – especially during this time of year. I have one special treasured cookie recipe that my boys melt for each year. It never seems to fail that when the first snow blankets the earth outdoors, one by one they come asking for polvorones. A special Spanish almond cookie that holds my own memories of my family from Spain.
When it comes to cookies in our home, I like to make them using natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or whole cane sugar, which contains beneficial nutrients such as minerals and vitamins.
Since I’m so excited for the holiday season and the launch of my new eBook, I’m going to share with you a simple to make no bake cookie recipe that my boys adore making with me… No Bake Coconut Snowballs.
These cookies only take about five minutes to make and taste just like candy when covered in melted chocolate. They’re lovely to make for family gatherings, or to fill in tins for cookie exchanges.
No Bake Coconut Snowballs
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tbls maple syrup
- 2 tbls unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- organic dark chocolate
- Place 1 cup shredded coconut and 3 tsp coconut oil into the bowl of a food processor. Process on high speed, scraping down the sides every once in a while, until it reaches a butter consistency.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt and process on high speed until all of the ingredients have combined.
- Add 3/4 cup of additional shredded coconut and process on high speed until all of the ingredients have combined and formed a batter.
- Shape the coconut mixture into 1” balls and coat with the additional shredded coconut. Refrigerate for at last an hour or up to a week.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
- If you’d like to make these extra special, omit the final coating of shredded coconut in step 4 above. Allow the the shaped coconut balls to firm up in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Once the coconut balls have firmed up, melt the dark chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat. This should only take a minute or two.
- Once the chocolate is melted, dip the coconut balls into the melted chocolate and sprinkle them with the shredded coconut. Allow the chocolate to harden by placing the coconut balls back into the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
From my humble kitchen to yours,