5 Tips to Hide God’s Word in the Heart of Your Family
As parents of three amazing children, we take the call to steward their hearts very seriously. God has made it very clear that it our responsibility to help our children learn how to hide God’s Word in their hearts as well as showing them the benefits of doing so. We find our inspiration for hiding the word in the heart of our family in Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (KJV):
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
We have taken the following 5 tips to hide God’s word in the heart of our family from the verse above and hope that they will help someone today who is seeking to do the same.
1. Read the Bible together at every family meal. We began doing this as an engaged couple back in 1999. Every time we sit down together at the family table, we read God’s word together. Our children look forward to this time of digging into God’s word and sharing how it is speaking to one another. It is amazing how quickly the Word will be hidden in our heart when we focus on God together at the table. Not only are we nourishing our bodies but more importantly our inner man!
2. Be the Word. It is imperative that we seek to live out God’s word every day through our actions. Nothing will speak to the hearts of our family members more than allowing God’s spirit to dictate the choices we make in our day-to-day lives. While we won’t always make the right choice, we can turn from our sin, confess our sin, and accept God’s forgiveness, and in doing so we can start afresh. Afterall, who doesn’t want to encourage their children to be fishers of men?
3. Read the Word before bed. This is something that we’ve become accustomed to and on the rare occasion that we don’t do so – we notice a big difference in the quality of our rest. When we read the Bible to our children at night before bed they all sleep much better than when we do not. The same is true for us. We really try to make it a point to do this every single night, and for the most part we are able to be consistent. There are times when we are so exhausted that we have just skipped it and thankfully God’s grace is sufficient!
4. Pray God’s Word together. This is huge. We pray together often throughout the day. From thanking God for waking us up and giving us another day to serve Him together to praying for those in need, we do our very best to constantly offer up prayer to God as a family. While we also teach and encourage our children to pray alone, we also teach them the power of agreement in prayer, particularly that of your family. We find that this not only strengthens our relations with God, but also binds us closer to one another as well.
5. Scripture memorization challenges. To make life more interesting, we always come up with some sort of scripture memorization challenge. Our ideas have varied from year-to-year, but we always come up with some new and fun way as a family to memorize God’s Word together in addition to everything above. This has proved to be a wonderful way to strengthen our knowledge of scripture as we seek to know more of Him.
We hope that these tips can help encourage you and your family to hide the Word of God together in your heart! We believe that Deuteronomy 6:6-7 is a great place to start when modeling your own ways to get God’s Word in front of your family. And another beautiful part of hiding His word together is that in tough times we are able to bring the healing balm of His Word to one another because we’ve been storing it up! Praise God!
What ways do you hide God’s Word in the heart of your family? We’d love to hear your ideas!
Michael & Carlie @ Learning to Speak Life™
There is nothing more powerful than hiding God’s Word in your heart. Thanks for sharing these tips to hide God’s word in the heart of our families.
Comments are closed.