That’s because those excessive turkey meat leftovers mean less work when preparing future meals, since it can easily be kept fresh by dividing the meat into 1-to-2 cup portions and placing it into the freezer.
Then, you’ll have a convenient supply of pre-cooked turkey on hand to create quick and healthy meals like this delicious and hearty Turkey Pot Pie.
Turkey Pot Pie
1 batch of biscuits (whole grain or GF biscuits work fine)
3 tbsp butter, plus 2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups carrots, chopped (about 5-6 small carrots)
2 cups organic potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 3 medium potatoes)
1 1/2 cups organic celery, chopped (about 3-4 stalks)
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp fresh organic sage, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp fresh organic thyme (leaves only)
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup plain milk of your choice
1 cup frozen peas
3 cups precooked, shredded turkey (white & dark meat)
1. Make biscuits of your choice; set aside.
2. Heat a very large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil to the pan, along with the carrots, potatoes, celery and onion. Sauté veggies for about 3-4 minutes, until onion becomes soft and translucent.
4. Then add chicken stock and seasonings. Cover and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until veggies reach desired consistency. Then turn off the heat.
5. For a thicker, creamier sauce, add the milk and two ladle-fulls of the simmered veggies into your blender. Blend until completely puréed. Return the purée back to the pan with the veggie mixture, add the frozen peas and the precooked, shredded turkey. Combine well. Turn the burner on medium and reheat, if necessary.
6. Place a ladle or two of the pot pie filling into a bowl for each person you’re serving. Place a biscuit on top of each serving. Enjoy! (Recipe serves 5-6.)
Remember, roasted turkey makes a wonderful replacement for chicken in most recipes. So why not put it to good use by making quick-n-easy meals like turkey-noodle soup, turkey salad sandwiches and so much more!
Special holiday blessings to you and yours,
Kelly, The Nourishing Home