I know so many families and individuals that are going gluten-free for one reason or another. It can be a real challenge to stick with a diet free from gluten while not being completely deprived of enjoyable cookies, cakes, or other treats!
Our family is not gluten-free, but I do like to experiment with other flour options so that I can serve foods for my gluten-free friends. I’ve recently been using coconut flour along with my usual sourdough baking, and I am enjoying the challenge and results!
Coconut flour is very different from regular wheat flour, or really any other grain flour. A little bit goes a long way, which means you can’t use it interchangeably in recipes calling for all-purpose or whole wheat flour. So while it does take some practice, the results are worth it, especially if gluten is an issue in your home!
I really like the taste of coconut flour. It has a mildly sweet and coconut-y flavor, but I’ve found the coconut flavor to be very minimal (if not even unnoticeable) in the final product. Coconut flour is extremely high in dietary fiber and also high in protein.
Coconut Flour Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- butter and cocoa powder for pan
Unbaked cake, ready to go in the oven
- In a food processor or mixer, cream together the butter and honey, then add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder, coconut flour, and salt. Mix until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Fold or pulse in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake or pie pan with butter, then dust evenly with cocoa powder. Spread the cake batter evenly into the pan with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until set and done in the center.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan and serve warm or at room temperature. I like mine with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk! Ice cream would probably be a yummy addition, too.
As you can tell, this cake is a breeze to put together, and it’s delicious, too!
Want to pin it? Use this image!