One of the easiest things we can do as parents to instill faith in our kids is to help them memorize Scripture.
Romans 10:17 tells us that hearing the Word of God is a way that the Holy Spirit can work in our children and grow their faith!
The Psalmist wrote that hiding God’s Word in his heart helped him not to sin against God (Psalm 119:111).
God tells us in Isaiah that His Word will not return empty or void but it will accomplish what God has purposed for it to do (Isaiah 55:11)!
As a mom, I want to do all I can to help my kids hide God’s Word in their hearts, to know Him and love Him and follow Him with their whole hearts.
We have incorporated Scripture memory during our bedtime routine and in our family devotional time, but most verses, my kids have learned through music or through the Awana program at our church, where they memorize a new verse each week.
Even if we weren’t a part of an Awana Club, though, we’d still be memorizing verses. In fact, with our Awana season over until fall, this is the perfect time to memorize Scripture together as a family.
In the past, we’ve memorized the Romans Road, ABC verses, character-based verses, and longer passages like a whole Psalm. This summer, though, we’ve decided to focus on the character of God and how He works.
I want my kids to know who God is. In a world and culture where man tries to make God into his own image, where the name and character and reputation of God is twisted and confused and misrepresented, I want my kids to have a firm, Biblical foundation, knowing who God is.
Many verses can be added to this list, but I’ve chosen 10 verses focusing on the character and attributes of God.
As we memorize these with our kids, let’s pray for God to quicken the hearts of our children to believe Him.
Let’s pray for our children’s faith to grow, and let’s look for opportunities to help them see God working in them and all around them.
Scripture Memory for Kids: 10 Verses on the Character and Activity of God
- Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! (Psalm 34:8)
- The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. (Psalm 103:8)
- Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. (Isaiah 40:28)
- Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! (Romans 11:33 NLT)
- Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. (1 John 4:8)
- This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)
- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
- Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful. (Psalm 116:5)
- Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. (Proverbs 30:5)
- Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory! (Isaiah 6:3)
Choosing only 10 Scriptures on the character of God for our kids to memorize was so hard! What other Scriptures would you add to this list?
Resources for You:
- The Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer
- God as He Longs for You to See Him by Chip Ingram
- God’s Names by Sally Michael (to be used with our kids!)
- Music to help kids memorize Scripture