A lot of you chose to ditch the traditional new year resolutions in favor of selecting one word for one year for a transformed forever.
You’ve bought a cheap journal; you’ve picked on one word for this year… now what?
If this describes you, don’t worry. You are not alone! A lot of friends have asked, “What’s next?”
Here are a few suggestions to go forward after you picked on one word for one year :
1. Talk to God. Spend time with Him and literally ask Him what it is He wants to teach you. And remember this:
God doesn’t help those who help themselves. God helps those who abide with him, those who walk with him in faith.
2. Depend on God. While you’re spending time with God, be mindful that this one word exercise isn’t a magic tool to make you patient or thinner or happier. No, no, no!
The goal this year is not for you to swear you’ll do better at this or for you to promise you’ll never again do that. Sweeping promises inevitably breed feelings of failure. The aim is for you to use your one word to get into a focused posture and remain there while you depend on Christ.
3. Wait actively on God. I know, I know… how can we “wait” AND “be active” at the same time? One way is this… pray (active) that God would show you His teaching through your word; read books, quotes, the Bible and listen to friends, sermons, your spouse (all active); jot down “take-away” ideas in your journal (active)… and then wait for God to connect the dots for you. Because He WILL.
God is honored not by your chosen word but by your faith in him to effect change through this process.
4. See life through your word. As I’ve looked at my habits “through” my word (“discipline”), I’ve noticed that when working on my computer I use two different browsers with a total of 10-15 unrelated windows. I am sensing that to have better productivity, I need to improve focus when I work. I also see that time with my girls is more meaningful NOT when I’m trying to multitask, but instead when I am disciplined enough to give them my full attention. These are just two areas where I see God speaking to me through my word, nudging me to be more disciplined. In essence:
I want to train my eyes to look at my world — all of it — through the lens of my one word. I need to learn to see differently, if I am going to live differently.
When you begin seeing your world through the lens of your one word, opportunities for action and growth abound.
5. Write down the “a-ha” insights. They might be so profound that you know you’ll remember them, but you won’t. So… write. them. down. Writing helps you articulate, pay attention to and SEE the God-work:
I am convinced that our struggle to see God at work in our lives is not a result of his lack of work, but rather of our lack of attention to it. Our failure to take the time to articulate it when it happens.
I don’t think of myself as a writer but as someone who is willing to take the time to articulate how I have tasted and seen that God is good. This is an act of worship.
6. Ignore the calendar. So what that it’s the end of January and you haven’t written a thing in your journal. Have you selected a word? Have you started spending more time with God?
We become so consumed with getting where we believe God wants us to be that we forget to be with God.
There’s nothing particular about day number 365. There is also nothing magical about January; you can begin in any month you like or in any month you find yourself.
7. Stick with it. Days and even weeks may go by where nothing seems worthy enough to be captured in your journal, and God seems silent. Trust that He has not forgotten.
… the single most difficult part of this One Word journey is continuing to focus on our word for a full year. To get the most out of this project, it’s imperative that we find ways to regularly pay attention to it.
8. Enter this giveaway, and if you don’t win, buy this book. Do you see all of those perceptive and discerning quotes beneath my numbered suggestions above? Every single wise tidbit came from this book:
Mike Ashcraft and Rachel Olsen have been doing the one word challenge for years, and they wrote down all their wisdom in this incredibly helpful book that is SURE to give you clarity as well as practical applications for your pilgrimage.
AND GUESS WHAT?? They gave us two copies of the book AS WELL AS two copies of the accompanying DVD study!! So you can read this book with friends, watch the DVD teaching, and learn together how to ensure that your one word for one year can transform your forever!!